DAY FIVE: RESTORATIVE CHAKRA FLOW (40 MIN)
What are the chakras? How does our yoga practice affect them? Why does any of this matter? We'll be exploring all of this on day five with a seated yoga flow that activates all seven of the major chakras. When I originally designed this class, I was going for a flow style but it became a sort of vinyasa flow + restorative hybrid. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it.
ABOUT THE CHAKRAS
Chakras are energy centers located along energy channels (meridians) throughout the body. Chakras are located in the energetic body, but it's important to understand that the energetic body is closely tied to the physical body. When the energetic body is unhealthy, the physical body will also be unhealthy.
There are over 100 chakras in the body, but most practices focus on the seven major chakras along the spinal column:
1. Muladhara Chakra - The root chakra is located at the base of your spine at your perineum. This chakra is associated with feelings of safety, earthly comfort and feeling grounded. Its color is red.
2. Svadhisthana Chakra - The sacral chakra is located at your sacrum/pelvic region and is depicted by the color orange. This chakra governs our sexuality, creative energy and reproductive health.
3. Manipura Chakra - The solar plexus chakra is located just above your navel. This chakra is represented by the color yellow. When this chakra is weak, so is our inner fire. We might feel low-energy and have digestive issues. When it is in balance, we feel empowered, confident, assertive and motivated to pursue our dreams.
4. Anahata Chakra - The heart chakra is represented by the color green. When our heart chakra is open and balanced, we freely give and receive love. When this chakra is imbalanced, we might feel depressed and struggle to love ourselves.
5. Vishuddha Chakra - The throat chakra is turquoise blue. We talked about ways to heal this chakra in our recent livestream. When this chakra is in balance, we speak our personal truth with love and confidence.
6. Ajna Chakra - This is your third eye chakra. This chakra is indigo blue. It's associated with intuition, our inner knowing. When this chakra is in balance, you open yourself to your own inner wisdom. When it is imbalanced, you may be prone to headaches, anxiety and nightmares.
7. Sahasrara Chakra - The crown chakra is most often depicted as violet, but I've also seen it as clear crystal light. This chakra is associated with our connection with the spiritual realm and with all other beings.
In my experience, when one chakra is out of alignment, it tends to pull the others out of alignment as well. That's why today's practice focuses on bringing awareness to all seven chakras.